Thursday, July 2, 2015

Hiking, climbing, and surgery selfies

Oi... The last week in Spain. 

Sunday: for our group trip, we did quite a bit. We visited two different monasteries, one that was set up as a historic site and one that was formerly a seminary and church and everything else but is now a 4 star hotel. Both were beautiful. We then went to our lunch place, by way of a scenic view over a valley. We ate lunch outside next to a creek before we headed out on what was probably the hottest hike/walk I have ever been on. It wasn't that long or that difficult, but this girl doesn't hike in 100 degree humid weather. I am pretty sure I sweated out all the water I drank at lunch. When we left the train and restaurant, we headed in the (thankfully air conditioned) bus to a winery along the river we had seen earlier. In Spain, a lot of wineries are built along rivers and other water ways so they require less artificial irrigation. We toured the small winery and tasted some wine (and maybe bought some). The rest of the day was spent relaxing and prepping for a busy week. 

Monday and Tuesday: surgery days. I was in general surgery, which meant the first day was spent on digestive tract surgeries and the second on a lot of outpatient surgeries. I was so thankful to be in an area where I could wear scrubs and spend time in an air conditioned part of the building. I followed around a medical resident, getting to watch her experience things for the first or second time in her first month of residency. The doctors were excited to show me things and learn things in English the entire first day. Surgeons are so calm on the outside and handled things like they were all routine. The strangest part of both days was the fact that most of the patients were awake during the procedures. I enjoyed it a lot, but they do so much work. 

Wednesday day: I was really nervous going into the day as I headed to intensive care because I knew there would be people who may not have any life left in them. All I could think about was my family, those I still have and those I have lost and what I would do without them. I was also kind of nervous about the fact that many of the people were in similar or worse (mostly worse, way worse) shape as my grandpa. (Shoutout to grandpa!! Love you and miss you a lot!!!) I didn't think I could handle it, but I decided to give it a try. The doctor I was supposed to be with wasn't there so the other doctors in the department welcomed me in and explained things to me as best they could until a doctor got there that I could shadow. To my surprise, the doctor I ended up with spoke near perfect English with a British accent and she was very willing to show me things. She noticed I took particular interest in the CT scans and let me look at them and try to analyze them with her help. I got to go with her to see a CT scan on a patient as well. While this particular patient may not have the best results from the scan, it made me realize again that radiology is something I truly have an interest in. I could definitely see myself doing radiology in the future. The career of an ICU doctor is difficult at times, but they all have such a passion for what they do and are so willing to show it. I am happy that I get to spend my last rotation there.
The evening consisted of a group adventure to the town of Allariz (or something like that) for some swimming and general wandering around the town before dinner. It was refreshing to get in the water and swim a little even though it was a little cooler than the last couple days. The old city itself was quaint. Lots of little shops with nice clothes and other things. My friend Alec and I wandered off to explore. I am pretty sure we walked almost the entire old part of the town. We may have struggled to find our way back, but we eventually found it and had time to spare before dinner. 

Picture time:
The bell tower of one of the monasteries. Yes, we did walk up there and everyone was terrified of I breaking and us falling. 

View from the winery. 

Surgery selfie. No hot lab coat for me, just a nice pair of hospital scrubs and air conditioned rooms. 

Walking down the old streets of Allariz. 

That's all for now. See you in the next update. 

Kallie

No comments:

Post a Comment